Friday, April 17, 2009

Fruity Oatmeal

I haven't been posting enough healthy choices, and that is largely due to the fact that I haven't been making many healthy choices myself, something that NEEDS to change! It's so easy to just pop a bagel into the toaster for a quick breakfast, but why not take the healthy route and opt for oatmeal next time. Oatmeal is given a bad rep for being dull and tasteless, but there are some very easy ways to add a ton of flavour to your oatmeal without adding extra fat. Although I prefer to make oatmeal over the stove, I usually make instant microwavable oatmeal because it takes under two minutes, and when I'm rushing out the door to head to class, every minute counts! So after I have emptied the instant oatmeal into the microwavable bowl and added water, I chop up some fresh fruit to drop in. Fresh fruit adds a ton of flavour to your originally bland outmeal. I chose to add the fruit before microwaving because the heat of the microwave cooks the fruit a bit and releases the natural sweetness. I simple add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon to season after. The above image is oatmeal with fresh strawberries cut in. It's quick, tasty, and healthy!

4 comments:

Lorajean said...

I would totally enjoy my oatmeal more if I added fresh fruits too it instead of plastering it with brown sugar! :) and don;t cut your hair! i''s much too pretty! :(

Bon Don said...

yummy, try some apples and nuts too!

Anonymous said...

chuck some cranberries in too --. you'll be forever glad that you did!

clare @ the pretty walrus said...

looks delicious!