Me (Danielle Rose), Robin, and Rommi canoeing at Robin's cottage (yes, safety first!)
This past weekend I went back up to a friends cottage. I had so much fun the last time, I couldn't wait to go back! All week I was waiting on my friend Robin to get the 'ok' from her family, allowing us to go up. But when she told me that everything was set and I should start packing to head up there, she also had a little request for me that would be the key to me getting into the cottage. On our last cottage weekend, I not only brought a bowl of my homemade guacamole, I also brought up a tray of Magic Squares that my mum had made. My friends went so crazy over them that they insisted I bring them on the next cottage weekend, and that we wouldn't be allowed to go up otherwise. Robin acted like she was just joking around, but really, I think the girl meant business! So the evening before our trip, I baked a big tray of Magic Squares, because honestly, I wanted them just as bad as my friends did as well!
I guess by now you're wondering why they are called Magic Squares. The truth is, they are really Hello Dolly Squares, but me and my mum have found that people go so crazy over them that they are like little squares of magic! I was even convinced for quite some time, that they had the magic ability to make the guys I crushed on, like me back...unfortunately, like all magic, it would eventually wear off. But I dare you to try it yourself. Have a special someone that you've had your eye on? Going on a weekend getaway and want to make it extra special? Dealing with a bad situation and need to get your spirits up? Turn to Magic Squares! But be warned, the magic in the squares is so powerful, that no one will be able to forget the intoxicating feelings of joy that they produce when eating them!
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1. Place butter in a 9" x 13" baking pan and melt in a 350º oven.
2. Once melted, remove and mix in graham cracker crumbs. Using your fingertips or the back of a large spoon, smooth and press down on the crumbs, creating one even layer on the bottom of the pan.
3. Drizzle over an even layer of sweetened condensed milk and top with chocolate chips.
4. Evenly sprinkle over the shredded coconut and nuts.
5. Bake at 350º for 25 to 30 minutes, or until coconut becomes a golden brown colour. Let cool and cut into squares.
6. Let the magic begin!