Friday, August 14, 2009

Crispy Baked Halibut


Through this website, I have now become the go-to recipe gal in my house.  Whenever anyone in my family needs a recipe, or wants to know what to do with a particular ingredient, it is up to me to fill them in.  So last week when I got a call from my mum at the grocery saying that halibut was on sale, it was my job to find a quick and easy halibut recipe for that night.  One of the first places I went to was Cooks.com.  I often go to Cooks.com just to get a general idea of what to do, and play around on my own, but today I found a recipe that suited me just fine! It was super quick and easy, and sounded delicious!  I only adjusted it a little by adding my homemade Citrus Aioli to use as a dip.  If you don't want to make your own Citrus Aioli, feel free to use tartar sauce.  The halibut turned out great.  It was moist inside, with a lovely crispy topping, and went perfectly with the zesty and creamy Citrus Aioli.  This dish is perfect for a busy weeknight.  
Tip: I made a smaller portion of the dish listed and adjusted the amounts of ingredients accordingly.  My fish was small enough to fit into my toaster oven (so I didn't have to heat up the whole kitchen), while still being able to fill 2 people.  

Ingredients:
Halibut
2 1L halibut (or other white fish)
Mayonnaise (enough to coat each piece of fish)
1 small onion, chopped
3 tbsp butter
bread crumbs, enough to coat the top of the fish
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Citrus Aioli
1 tbsp garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tbsp lime zest
1 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Halibut
1.  Melt butter in a baking dish large enough to fit fish in one layer.  Lay onions at bottom of dish. 

2.  Cut halibut into 1/4 inch strips.  Lightly salt and pepper strips.  In a shallow dish, add several large dollops of mayonnaise, and coat each strip of fish.

3.  Lay fish in baking dish snugly next to each other.  Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper.

4.  Bake at 450ยบ for 10-15 minutes

Citrus Aioli
1.  In a food processor, combine garlic, lemon zest, lime zest, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and lime juice.  Process until well blended.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

5 comments:

Cherie said...

I love these super quick, tasty dishes. Who wants to spend a hot summer day slaving over the stove anyway?
I just red your post about Chile. I'm planning a trip to Chile in the fall. If you have any tips on food, or accomodation or anything really, please e-mail me:
boheme.cherie@gmail.com
Thanks
Cherie

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

My grandpa is a big fisher and the main fish he gets is Halibut and we never know how to make it into a great recipe! This sounds good!

test it comm said...

Halibut baked with mayo sounds really good!

Justin said...

i'm impressed you made that in a toaster oven. the aoili sounds great.

Muneeba said...

j'adore halibut, and this baked version looks delectable!