Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tabbouleh Quinoa Salad

Being pretty much banned from your kitchen for two weeks when you have a bountiful herb garden in the back and a fridge full of inspiration is downright torture for a food blogger like myself! This was the case for me, up until last week, when my house was being prepped and went up for sale. With sporadic showings every few hours, forcing me to flee my home, I wasn't allowed to make any sort of mess in the kitchen, or create any food smells that possible buyers may find offensive. I certainly consumed my fair share of toast and instant oatmeal in those two weeks, and was dying for a good home cooked meal. After only being on the market for a short time, we were lucky to find a lovely down-to-earth family that would become our future home owners. With the house sold, I was ready to get back in action in the kitchen, make a great big mess, and create something fantastic! With all the ingredients for a tabbouleh salad in my fridge and garden, and two big bags of organic quinoa in the pantry I had found my mess-making winner of a dish to reunite me with my kitchen! I whipped up this Tabbouleh Quinoa Salad in next to no time, adding some fresh bell peppers for an extra hit of flavour and some crunch. I loved eating this salad alongside fresh grilled fish, and saving the leftovers for my lunch the following day!

Note: If you have any salad leftover, you may want to add more dressing. I find with many quinoa salads that my dressings seem to disappear, which means flavour disappearing, when stored overnight. Just squeeze in some extra lemon juice, olive oil, and perhaps some more garlic and a splash of apple cider vinegar to make your flavour last!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
zest from 1/4 of a lemon
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (plus more to taste)
1/2 large cucumber, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped fine

Directions:
  1. Cook quinoa according to directions on package. 
  2. While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly begin to pour in the olive oil in a small stream while continuing to whisk. 
  3. Once quinoa is cooked, fluffed and slightly cooled, stir in the lemon dressing, cucumber, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, scallions, parsley, and mint. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately or, if serving the following day, see above note.
Listening To:
Frank Ocean - Super Rich Kids (feat. Earl Sweatshirt)

Powered by mp3skull.com
Sooo excited for his concert at the Kool Haus tonight!!

2 comments:

Rio said...

You has a great blog. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

Lets keep writing and blogging

Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

BroddyAdams said...

My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was once totally right. This put up truly made my day. You can not believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thank you!
perfume for men