Sarah, Dan, Lee-Anne, and I (Danielle Rose) at the Barn Bash
This past weekend I went on a bit of a road trip with some friends to Chisholm Ontario for my friend Lee-Anne's Family's Barn Bash. The drive up to Chisholm takes about 4 hours (although we skillfully made it in 3) so I knew that we would need some snacks for the drive up. Chips are a given for any road trip, so I wanted to make something sweet to bring along as well. I thought these banana muffins would be perfect! Muffins are travel friendly, and the banana makes them satisfying, the nuts add additional flavour and health benefits, and the streusel topping adds an extra hint of sweetness. The muffins were a hit just as the Barn Bash was! As much as I love these muffins, they don't compare to the love that I felt for my friends this past weekend. It was an experience I will never forget!
Note: The streusel topping is the same one that is used for a fruit crisp. Use any leftover topping to bake on top of fresh fruit.
Tip: If you don't have buttermilk, you can substitute it with milk with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar added.
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 medium ripe banana
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
1/4 cup butter, cut in chunks
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup flour
1. In a food processor, pulse together all ingredients for streusel topping until crumbly . Set aside.
2. Mash the banana to desired consistency. You may choose to leave some of the banana intact.
3. Mix together the mashed banana with butter, eggs, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, walnuts, and pecans.
5. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together JUST until combined. DO NOT over-mix!
6. Pour into greased or lined muffin tins and top with desired amount of streusel topping. Bake at 400ºF for 18-20 minutes.