Friday, August 13, 2010

Carrot and Mango Salad with Honey Roasted Peanuts

Boy oh boy is it ever hard to stay healthy working at a pastry shop. This is especially true when you, being your economical self, try and bring in homemade lunches to work. Let me tell u a simple homemade turkey sandwich looks pretty sad next to a freshly baked ham and cheese croissant. So I've been looking for tasty and healthy dishes that will allow me to feel satisfied throughout my shift at work, are quick to prepare, and can transport easily. So when my mum brought home the recipe for Carrot and Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing from Food Network Canada's Just One Bite, I knew I had found my solution! This salad tasted amazing! I couldn't get enough of the incredible combination of the coarse textured carrots, the sweet and juicy mango, and crunchy sweet and salty peanuts, all topped off with a mouth-puckering honey and lime dressing! This is one salad that will be coming with me to work often! Sorry salad, I appreciate you coming to work with me, but I'm keeping the pay check!
Note: Just One Bite's recipe calls for raisins....but I just wasn't into that. But if you're a raisin fan, go on and add 'em! I also used honey roasted peanuts instead of dry roasted to tie in the honey in the dressing.

Ingredients:
3 large carrots
1 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp grated lime zest
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp liquid honey
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Using a cheese grater or a food processor fitted with the grater attachment, coarsely grate carrots into large bowl.
2. Add the mango, green onion, peanuts and cilantro to carrots.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, lime juice, and honey. While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.

4. Pour dressing over salad, toss, taste, and season with salt and pepper.

Listening To:
The Arcade Fire - No Cars Go

Powered by mp3skull.com
(Going to the concert tomorrow!!)

4 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Yummy...I really should eat more carrots...I am so going to make this:)

Kisses,sweetie and have a great weeked:)

Kristen said...

This looks sooo tasty!

Pinecone Camp said...

I think I might try to make that for lunch - looks delicious! I don't know how you can work in a pastry shop, btw. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Danielle. I came across this recipe by googling the 3 ingredients that I have at home.. I will try this recipe today and I will get back to you for reviews..