Monday, October 5, 2009

Packed Lunch Guide



I am a big advocate for homemade lunches.  Being a student, I would much rather take the extra 5 minutes out of my morning to make a healthy, and affordable lunch that I can bring with me to class or work.  I truly don't understand how students can complain about their financial woes, while at the same time, wasting a large chunk of money each day on costly, and, quite often, unhealthy meals.  I don't know about you, but I would much rather make a delicious meal from home to transport with me, and save my money to buy something special for the future!

I understand that many people feel as though they can't make a tasty lunch from home, that will still taste as good hours later, upon eating it.  But a simple search in your favourite food website will end that problem.  I did just that with some my favourite food sites and came up with an abundance of delectable options! Here is Martha Stewart 's take on brown bag lunches.  Epicurious  also has a wonderful Back-To-School lunch guide, which includes nutritional info, college student tips, and taste tests.  What are your favourite websites for packed lunch tips?

Just to prove my point on how much money you are truly saving, cockeyed.com has created a handy little Sandwich Price Calculator , which allows you to calculate the exact amount you are spending on a homemade sandwich.  My multigrain sandwich with mayo, dijon mustard, salami, tomato, lettuce, swiss cheese, and processed turkey came out to a mere $1.40 using the Sandwich Calculator !  Sure the costs would be slightly off (we aren't all buying Kirkland brand bread), but you get the idea.

Image courtesy of MarthaStewart.com

3 comments:

Julie [Plums for Breakfast] said...

Thanks for the links! I'm always trying to find new things to cart to work with me. Not only is buying lunch every day expensive, it can become so tiresome. There are only so many days one can go to Panera for lunch before wanting to rebel.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

mmmm that looks super delicious.

Sara S. said...

just started a new job this week--great tips! thanks!