This past Wednesday was my 22nd Birthday (as you know from my little self-indulgent Birthday post on the day), and unlike previous years of failed attempts to make my birthday a drinking filled shit-show, with more acquaintances than friends, I chose to make this years birthday more low-key. I would much rather surround myself with family and good friends, and have an intimate evening filled with good food, than try to live up to some stereotypical model of what a 22 year old birthday "should" be like. Yes, I did start some early celebrations prior to my birthday, going to the Kings of Leon concert and taking a road trip to Montreal, but for the actual day of my birthday, I wasn't looking for anything extravagant. This turned out to be quite a success. I invited my family and best friends over to my home for wine, appetizers, coffee and cake, which ended up making for a much more joyful celebration than I have had in a long time.
I want to give a big thanks to my mum, who generously took the time to prepare a beautiful table filled with amazing food, drinks, and desserts, as well as my dad who filled the house with roses and balloons. My mum, knowing that food would be my favourite part of my birthday celebration, prepared a TON of delicious food, which included:
- Chilean Wine
- Cocktail Shrimp with Dip
- A Cheese Platter (with aged cheddar, triple-cream brie, creamy cambazola, and purple grapes)
- An Assortment of Crackers
- Kicking Horse Coffee
- Apple Cheese Tort (my favourite!)
- Raspberry Trifle
- Lemon Coconut Squares
- A Gluten-Free Chocolate Tart (purchased from Ikea for my grandfather and friend, who are both celiac...it actually tasted really good!)
- Macaroon Madness Bars (from M&M Meat Shops)
- A Fruit Platter (with strawberries, pineapple, mango, and cantaloupe)
Thanks to my amazing family and friends for making my 22nd Birthday so special! Here's to another great year!