Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cheaters Handbook: Popeyes Biscuits

It's funny, I have never been inside a Popeyes in my life, nor have I ever even tasted a bite of their chicken, but I sure can't get enough of their warm and buttery biscuits. I have only had them a few times, because I refuse to walk into a Popeyes , purely for the intoxicating smell of friend chicken that makes me feel sick. So I knew that in order to fulfill my love of their biscuits, I would have to make them myself. I had thought that it would be difficult to find a recipe replicating the famous Popeyes Biscuits, but a simple google search led me instantly to several Popeyes Biscuit recipes. And what do you know, the recipe was as simple as can be!

This recipe for Popeyes Biscuits, from Cooks.com, is another Cheaters Handbook recipe. With the help of Bisquick mix, making your own Popeyes Biscuits is as simple as can be! In my google search, I found two variations on the recipe, one with 7-Up, and the other with Club Soda. I didn't have any 7-Up in the house, so I used Club Soda. I was very worried once I had combined the ingredients together, as the dough was incredibly wet. I could barely get it out of the mixing bowl, not to mention cut them into biscuits. After two failed attempts at cutting the sticky, wet dough with my biscuit cutters, I ended up just scooping them onto my baking sheet and trying to form them from there with a spoon and my hands (which, at this point, were covered with dough...as well as my sleeves and hair!).

Thank goodness the biscuits turned out wonderful! They were warm, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, with a delicious buttery taste. With a swipe of salted butter, my homemade Popeyes Biscuits were near perfection! I think that they would have been able to reach the point of perfection had I used 7-Up. I can see how the citrus flavour of the soft drink would give the biscuits a little extra flavour that I thought it was lacking, although I can see the recipe succeeding with the Club Soda with the addition of some salt. These biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to any meal...in fact, I think there is one left over that I am going to have right now!
Tip: Instead of using a biscuit cutter, scoop and form your biscuits with a trigger ice cream scoop.
Tip: Make this for your Thanksgiving dinner!!

Ingredients:
2 cups Bisquick mix
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup 7-Up or Club Soda
1 tsp salt (if using Club Soda)
about 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1. Cut sour cream into biscuit mix.

2. Add the 7-Up or Club Soda and stir to combine. If using Club Soda, add the salt at this point as well.

3. Pour half of the melted butter onto baking sheet.

4. Using a trigger ice cream scoop, scoop the dough, and release onto baking sheet. Do not allow the individual biscuits to touch, as they will spread once baked.

5. Pour the remaining melted butter on top of the biscuits.

6. Bake at 450ยบ for 15-20 minutes.

9 comments:

redkathy said...

7up, very interesting. As soon as I get over this cold, I'm definitely going to try these. Red and my DH love Popeye's!

The Peach Tart said...

I'm a biscuit girl being from the South but never seen a recipe like this. I'm definitely trying it.

Heather S-G said...

You know, I've never had Popeye's in my life...and I live pretty close to one!! I'll have to hit it up and order some biscuits....they sound delish :D p.s...hope your birthday was wonderful!

Jami - XOimagine said...

OMG!!! Those look so good! I'm going to have to try those this week for sure!

Elizabeth said...

7up!! And sour cream. And butter!!

This IS an interesting idea. I'm not a big fan of sweet biscuits but I do think using soda water might be a very good idea.

And being a purist, I'll just use the dry ingredients list from our biscuit recipe. (I just don't quite get using bisquick when it's so insanely easy to make biscuits from scratch.)

-Elizabeth

Danielle said...

ejm: You should give them a try. They aren't sweet at all. Believe it or not, people swear by the bisquick cheat for making popeyes biscuits

Michael said...

After a google search for popeyes biscuits I arrived to your blog. I decided to make these biscuits tonight and they were awesome!!! My roommate is already asking for more!!!

Great Post!!

Chelle said...

The reason they were so wet is because you are using too much sour cream. Cut it down to 1/4 and they will be perfect.

Preeti said...

thanks for the recipe. i am living in india but my friends told me about popeyes chicken menu. it have nice taste.



popeyes coupons printable