One of my all time favourite foods to make is crepes! It is one of the first dishes that I ever tried cooking completely on my own (thanks to inspiration from a grade 6 French cafe project) and I still enjoy making them as much today as I did the very first time I made one in grade 6. Lucky for me, my family loves eating my crepes just as much as I love making them. So I knew that a special Sunday brunch of crepes with a variety of fresh berries and fruit, spreads, and nuts would be the perfect way to put a smile on my family's faces!
This is a basic crepe batter that is guaranteed to never fail! It results in a perfect, non-rubbery texture, and delicious flavour. You may add whatever you like to your crepes, but below is what I chose to put in and on my crepe this time around. Try to offer a variety of fillings and toppings to let your guests create their own.
Note: You may choose to make your crepes whatever thickness you like, but I like to make mine fairly thin.
3/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar (optional for dessert crepes which I used this time)
Suggested Fillings & Toppings
toasted slivered almonds
toasted shredded coconut
1. Whisk or process (using a food processor) all ingredients until blended.
2. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
3. In a lightly greased crepe pan or frying pan, fry crepes approximately 60 seconds on one side or until edges are brown, and approximately 30 seconds on the other side.
4. Keep cooked crepes in a warm oven or toaster oven while frying other crepes to keep them warm.
5. Fill and top with your choice of fillings and toppings.