Sunday, May 3, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan




When you're looking for comfort food, most people turn to their favourite carb-loaded standby's like potatoes and pasta, or flavourful red meats like a great big steak. Eggplant parmesan is a great alternative comfort food. Eggplant Parmesan is traditionally breaded before it is layered with cheese and baked, but this dish can still be just as satisfying and comforting without the extra flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs. I have created my own version of eggplant parmesan that cuts back on some of the fat traditionally in the dish, while still having a bold and delicious flavour.
Tip: Sprinkling salt on top of the eggplant before baking it will allow the vegetables bitter juices to emerge out.

Ingredients:
1 eggplant (about 1 Ib/500 g)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 roasted red pepper (julienned)
3/4 italian bread crumbs
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut eggplant lengthwise (discarding the ends) into 1/4 inch slices. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet one single layer. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil. Sprinkle salt over slices and rub in with your fingers.

2. Bake slices 10 minutes on each side.

3. While eggplant is baking, layer 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce onto the bottom of a shallow casserole dish. Sprinkle in red pepper flakes.

4. Layer cooked eggplant into dish. Arrange roasted red pepper slices and basil on top of eggplant. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce over eggplant and red peppers. Sprinkle bread crumbs, then Italian seasoning, then mozzarella, then parmesan cheese over tomato sauce.

5. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until sauce is bubbling.

13 comments:

Every Little Counts said...

looks delicious! loving your blog;)

beckylbranch said...

MMMMMM Oh my goodness that looks delish!!!!

Chase said...

I can't wait to try this dish out. It sounds so good.

Igoarias said...

Oi sou do Brasil.
Muito interessante seu blog, gostei muito, voltarei aqui mais vezes, estou te seguindo hein? Espero sua visita no meu blog, abraços fortes.

thelittledeer said...

that looks really quite yummy here - and thats saying something since its 8am here and i only just woke up!!
nice work :)

jade
x

http://www.roarstore.co.uk - roar vintage clothing

caroline duke said...

that looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! I think you've inspired me to make that this week! Thanks :)

Gaia said...

MMMHHHH!!!
They look very good I just can imegine the parfume!!!

whenever you'd like an italian recipe just write me I'll give to you with pleasure!!!

http://alices-adventuresinwonderland.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-friday-it-has-been-intense-week.html

Gaia said...

Hi Ginger...how are you?
I just published my last post from my weekend in tuscany...
http://alices-adventuresinwonderland.blogspot.com/2009/05/weekend-part-i.html

hope you'll come to visit it and leave a comment!

Hugs
Gaia

Julie [Plums for Breakfast] said...

Hey, first off, thanks for following my teeny tiny blog--yours is an absolute treat.

I'll have you know that eggplant is now on my grocery list. I'm hoping to try this recipe later this week. Thanks!

Gaia said...

You have only to ask and I'll give it to you. I like to cook and organize dinner for friends...I used to invite them more often... actually it's a bit ... I'll do it soon!!
The weekend was great, I've been to Tuscany In versilia, the seaside with some friends...Monday it's always hard..Isn't it!?

Gaia
http://alices-adventuresinwonderland.blogspot.com

Pretty Zesty said...

I worked out a vegan version of this dish. Just swapped out the regular cheese for soy cheese. Really great! The roasted red peppers were key! :o) Thanks!

Aline said...

you have some fabulous recipes!!!