Saturday, May 30, 2009

Coconut Crisp French Toast




What better way to celebrate being finished classes and exams as well as getting over a horrible cold (one which I truly believed was Swine Flu) than indulging in a decadent breakfast of Coconut Crisp French Toast. Let me tell you, this is no regular french toast. French toast is truly a delicacy on it's own, but this little number takes french toast to a whole new level! Coating the egg drenched bread in shredded coconut before frying gives the french toast a delicious light and crispy exterior which contrasts wonderfully with the soft and moist interior of the toast. How do you make this already sensational dish even better? Stuff the toast with Nutella before dipping in the egg! I dare you to turn this breakfast down.
Tip: to add extra points for presentation, lightly dust the french toast with icing sugar and shredded coconut.
Tip: frying with butter adds great colour and flavour, but butter can burn very easily. To prevent this, add a little oil to the pan as well.

Ingredients:
2 thick slices egg bread (challah)
2 eggs
2 - 3 tbsp milk
2 - 3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
unsweetened shredded coconut (enough to coat 2 slices of bread)
butter and oil for frying

Directions:
1. Cut the 2 thick slices of bread into triangle halves. Using a small serrated knife (a steak knife works well), carefully cut a small pocket in the middle of each half of bread. Carefully spread Nutella inside pocket of bread, being careful not to tear the bread. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, whisk eggs with milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into a shallow dish, large enough to fit bread. In a separate shallow dish, (also large enough to fit bread) pour in desired amount of coconut (you will need enough to coat each bread slice). Dredge each slice of stuffed bread in egg mixture and then transfer to coconut dish, and coat thoroughly in coconut. Repeat with all slices of bread.

3. In a frying pan or griddle on medium-high heat, melt oil and butter. Place coated bread in pan and fry until browned evenly on each side. Serve with maple syrup.

16 comments:

Gabby said...

You had me at "Nutella". Looks delicious!

julia christine said...

This looks amazing! So creative:)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

This sounds heavenly!

Gaia said...

Give me a fork!!! I would like to add some fruit salad, to feel less guilty!
Nice recipe...I'll try and let you know!

iva yaneva said...

this looks yummy! :)
thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Have a lovely day!
IvaY

TheBeautyFile said...

That looks amazing...yum!

Hilary said...

Gosh, I've never thought about coconut and french toast together before. I love the idea!

A "cheery" disposition said...

Now that looks good!

Justin said...

i already love french toast, but coconut takes it to a new level

Rose said...

OOOOOHHH! That looks so good! I want it right now!! I love coconut :)

Sierra said...

I am super hungry now. Nutella is my best friend, what a good idea!!

Danielle said...

For an extra crispy twist, you can also crunch up some corn flakes (or better yet FROSTED flakes) to dip in with the coconut!

Thanks for the comments!

Friday Delights said...

Oooooo....this looks delicious!!! I will try this..I LOVE Coconut!!!
Thanks for the idea!!!

katrina lauren said...

oh my! nothing better than a special weekend breakfast...and guess what's on my menu? looks so delicious; i can't wait!
thanks for sharing!
k

Yours Truly said...

Just tried this this morning... amazing! And not as heavy as I expected either (maybe I didn't use enough Nutella ;))

Great recipe!

Xo

Miss Jeanett said...

Uhmm that sounds and looks really good!

/Jeanett
http://jeanettd.blogspot.com