Thursday, July 19, 2018

Peanut Butter Banana Energy Balls

My schedule is all over the place, and often means eating meals at odd times of the day (think lunch at 3:00 and often dinner at midnight...I know, it's not good!). With so much running around between commitments, it's so important to have quick and easy snack options on hand that can keep me satiated and energized throughout the day. I always like to keep nuts, yogurt, fruits, and veg on hand for that purpose, but a new healthy snack that has become a prominent feature in my kitchen is energy balls!

I have to admit, when I first tried making energy balls a couple years ago, they did not go successfully. I focused too much on health instead of flavour, which resulted in dry and flavourless balls of chia and coconut oil, that ultimately ended up in the garbage. The trick to making energy balls is striking that perfect balance between healthy and delicious! Inspired by the flavours in banana bread (another snack I love!), I created my Peanut Butter Banana Energy Balls that are just sweet enough to trick me into feeling like I'm enjoying a treat, but are packed with ingredients that will keep my body and mind feeling energized and alive!

Keep these energy balls on hand to enjoy for a midday pick me up, or a pre-workout energy boost that won't leave you feeling bogged down and sluggish.
Ingredients:
1 overripe banana*
1/2 cup Metro Irresistibles Organics Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup ground flax
2 Tbsp chia seeds
2-4 dates, pitted and softened (adjust the amount depending on your sweetness preferences)
1 - 1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, frozen (freezing your chocolate chips allows them to hold their shape, giving the energy balls some texture)

Directions:
  1. In the bowl of a food processor, add banana, peanut butter, coconut, flax, chia seeds, dates and 1-cup oats. Pulse until just combined, stopping to scrape down the bowl several times. Pinch the mixture between your fingers to test consistency. You want the mixture to be able to form into balls without being too sticky. If mixture is still very sticky and wet, add more oats as needed.
  2. Stir in frozen chocolate chips. 
  3. Using clean hands, form into 2 Tbsp balls and place in an airtight container. You should be left with 12-14 energy balls. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy throughout the week! 
*To quickly ripen bananas, separate individual bananas from the bunch and place on a baking sheet. Cook in a 300ºF oven for 25-30 minutes, or until black and shiny. Cool.

This post was created in partnership with Metro Ontario.

Listening To:
Pusha T - Santeria

No comments: