Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Ontario Black Cherry, Feta, & Arugula Salad

The time for Summer salads is here! One of my favourite ways to utilize the abundance of fresh fruits over the summer months in Ontario is with beautiful summer salads, and I'm not just talking about fruit salads! I adore the way the flavours of fresh and juicy Ontario fruits play against the peppery heat from arugula, and either a salty bite of feta cheese, or a creamy taste of fresh mozzarella or burrata. These types of salads are uncomplicated, while still being interesting, beautiful (both visually and in it's flavour!), and are just so damn delicious you'll want to enjoy one every day!

I'm not including an exact recipe here, instead choosing to give you a guideline, as summer salads are all about utilizing what you already have on hand. This recipe was inspired by a big ol' bag of fresh Ontario cherries that I wanted to eat for more than just dessert and snack. While mixed greens are an easy option to have on hand in the summer months, I opt for keeping arugula in my crisper, as I find that peppery hit to be a more exciting contrast from the sweet flavours from the fruit. With sunflower seeds already on hand in my cupboard, I chose to sprinkle a few of those over for some crunch, but I actually think pumpkin seeds (sometimes labelled as pepitas) would be an ideal seed for this dish. Play around with whatever fruits, produce, nuts, and seeds you have in your kitchen or in your garden and find a summer salad that suits your tastebuds! Let me know what creation you've made by telling me about it in the comments, or sending me a pic through Instagram (you can find me @gingerrosefood). Looking forward to seeing your summer salad creations!

Note: I have not included specific measurements, as I encourage you to work with what works for you!
Ingredients:
arugula
pea shoots
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar
Ontario black cherries, pitted and cut in half
feta cheese
salted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
fresh ground pepper
Maldon Salt

Directions:

  1. In a small bowl lightly drizzle the arugula and pea shoots with olive oil and balsamic. Toss together gently with your fingertips. Place along serving dish (I like to use a platter as opposed to a bowl so the other ingredients don't fall to the bottom).
  2. Top the dressed greens with cherries, feta cheese, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, fresh ground pepper, and Maldon Salt. Serve immediately.
Listening To:
Summer Games - Drake

No comments: