Thursday, June 15, 2017

How To Be A Food Hero - Make French Toast with Old Hot Dog Buns

The other day I posted an Instagram Story of me making Hot Dog Bun French Toast. That's right. No challah. No brioche. No fancy bread from some cute bakery. We're talking dirty, Wonderbread hot dog buns, bought on sale, and stale as shit. So appealing, right? 

I know it's not the most glamorous of dishes, but guys, this is straight up real life! This is how you live on that Budget-Life (can I get an *amen* emoji!), cut down on food waste, and get food in your belly when it seems like there's nothing to eat. This is also how I cook a lot of the time. 

I remember making this for Chris years ago when he first moved into the condo that we now live in together with his then roommate, Adam. They didn't have a ton of food in the fridge and pantry, and would often make due with cereal, cans of tuna, hot dogs, and takeout. When we would get hungry when I was over and I would offer to cook something, I was often met with "there's nothing to eat and nothing to make it with." Little did they know, they were dealing with a food hero! 

I remember seeing the look of amazement on Chris's face when I first macgyvered together french toast using old, stale hot dog buns. Just five minutes prior he was convinced there was no food, and was about to throw out those old hot dog buns. No, it was definitely not the best french toast ever, but yeah, it was good! Dunk anything in custard, fry it in butter, and top it with maple syrup and you'll be a happy camper! 
This time I also had some overripe strawberries that were about to go mouldy that elevated the humble hot dog bun french toast even further. Hell, I bet you can't even tell how shameful the bread is in the photo, it turned out so good! It's funny that I've been using these food waste tricks and hacks for years, but have kept many of them to myself, scared that people may shame me for breaking the rules or using less-than-popular food ingredients and products. I'm so glad that this time I decided to not give a shit, and just put my real self out there, because this seems to be what my viewers/readers really respond to! I was amazed at how many people replied to my story, telling me how much they hate food waste, how creative they thought that idea was, and encouraging me to post more! That was very cool! 

So the next time you're clearing out your kitchen, and tossing anything deemed "inedible," please take a moment to reconsider what you're doing. Ask yourself, "can I use this item in any other way before it turns to garbage?" Not only could you end up creating something delicious (and potentially genius!) you will also be able to rest easy knowing your hard earned money was well spent, and the good food that we are so fortunate to be able to have did not go to waste! 

What items do you find yourself wasting the most in your kitchen? Let me know in the comments below and maybe I'll have a solution for you! Also be sure to follow me on Instagram to watch more of my food waste tips and tricks on my Instagram Stories! 

Listening To:

No comments: