Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chocolate Cheesecake Strawberries

When faced with the challenge of creating a gluten-free, kosher-for-Passover dessert, I can't help but let out a long sigh...no, make that groan. Creating a kosher-for-Passover dessert is enough of a challenge already, throw in gluten-free and I'm out the door! Because I was only asked to bring two additions to our quickie Passover meal this year with my dad, my Zhada (who is celiac), and I, I figured I would have to at least give it a shot as opposed to sneaking off to buy a pre-made dessert...and possibly pass it off as my own. My history with making gluten-free baked goods hasn't exactly been a pleasant one, with cakes that refuse to rise and maintain moisture, not to mention my frustration at the many different ingredients you need to make a tasty gluten-free baked good, and the high cost at which many of them are sold. I decided to bypass baking all together and create a fresh and relatively healthy dessert that I knew my family and I would enjoy. 

My Chocolate Cheesecake Strawberries are incredibly simple, easy to transport, gluten-free, kosher-for-Passover, adorable, and last but certainly not least, delicious and wildly addictive! The sweet strawberries are complimented perfectly with the tangy and creamy mascarpone cheese surprise filling, with the light dip of chocolate and toasted pecans tying the dessert together. My favourite part of this dessert? Seeing my Zhada's reaction as I brought the strawberries out, and watching him happily devour two in next to no time at all. 

Ingredients:
about 1 lb strawberries
4 oz. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla 
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
about 1/3 cup pecans, lightly toasted and chopped

Directions:
  1. Remove hull from strawberries, and carefully cut a slightly larger hole inside of strawberry.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together mascarpone with icing sugar. Add lemon zest and vanilla and mix to combine. 
  3. Scoop mascarpone mixture into a piping bag and carefully pipe into the centre of the strawberries.  Refrigerate for at least a half hour, to allow filling to set.
  4. In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips at medium heat. Put the chopped nuts in a small bowl next to the chocolate.
  5. Carefully dip the end of the strawberry into the chocolate and then immediately into the chopped nuts. Place, chocolate side down, on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strawberries. Chill for at least another half hour to allow chocolate to set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy! They will keep for up to 2 days. 

Listening To:
Mount Kimbie - Made To Stray

Powered by mp3skull.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great looking chocolate cake. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try.