Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekly Roundup - August 27, 2012

Agarian Cheese Market & Speakeasy - On Monday my mom and I decided to take a mini road trip for the day to Prince Edward County. We had such a nice time driving around and checking out the scenery, but, of course, our favourite part of any trip is the food. Rather than spending a fortune on lunch at a winery restaurant, we decided to make a quick stop at a cute looking cheese store to grab some gourmet grilled cheese. With so many delicious sandwiches on the menu at the Agarian Cheese Market and Speakeasy, we decided to get two different kinds and split them so we could try at least two. We chose the Mushroom Madness with Camembert and sautéed mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes, and the Sassy Sausage with onion, cheddar, Sopressata sausage and chipotle lime mustard. Served with a side salad with fresh green peas and a light vinaigrette, this quick lunch totally hit the spot! 
 CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT
Peach & Nutella Panini - One of my all time favourite snacks in the summer is fresh Ontario fruit. Of course the fruit is delicious on its own, but imagine folding it between two pieces of bread, slathering on a generous amount of Nutella, and throwing that baby on a panini press. Perfection! Last week I made my favourite type of sweet panini, Peach & Nutella, which was just as fantastic as I remembered  from last year. You've gotta give this sweet panini a try for yourself, and I promise, you'll be waiting all year for peach season to get your hands on this sucker as well!

S'more Pie - Two of my favourite people in the entire world are my cousins Lucas and Evan. Every summer we make a point of making s'mores, whether that means using the outdoor chiminea, making them in the toaster oven, or even on the gas flame on the stove, it's a summer tradition we can't go without. I had been thinking about doing something special and s'more related for Lucas' birthday in July, but unfortunately, with crazy hours at work and a cottage weekend away, I wasn't able to find the time. Last week was Evan's 9th birthday and this time I made sure to fit some baking into my schedule. After a quick google search I found the perfect creation for Evan's birthday and Lucas' belated birthday, S'more Pie! I whipped up the pie the day before and somehow resisted having a taste until Evan's actual birthday the following day.

Bruschetta - After licking out the delicious chocolaty bowl from the S'more Pie...and maybe sneaking a few marshmallows here and there, I was craving something savory to tide me over for dinner. With a leftover hot dog bun and fresh garlic on the counter, and beautiful tomatoes and basil growing in the garden, bruschetta was the way to go! So fresh and delicious, I love this summer treat! Check out my recipe here!

Evan's Birthday - Here's my little Evie, looking not so little at 9 years old, blowing out the candles on his S'more Pie that I made for him and his brother Lucas. The pie turned out sooooo damn good! I mean, I knew I would like the pie, but who knew I would go absolutely bananas over it! I'll post the recipe soon with my revisions that made this special dessert out of this world! Happy Birthday Evan!!!
CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT
Bagel House BLT - After getting my mom hooked on Bagel House's absolutely perfect BLT last summer, we can't help but pick up the savoury sandwich every single time we're about to embark on a long drive. So of course we had to make a quick pit stop at Bagel House for BLT's before venturing off to Prince Edward County on Monday morning. I always get mine on an everything bagel and, if the right guy is working, usually end up getting extra bacon! So simple, yet so perfect. I could go for one right now.

Writing on the wall - I snapped this picture of a really cool old wall in Picton covered in striking text. I love the look of this!

Barley Days Brewery- During our tour of Prince Edward County, we also stopped at a a local brewery, Barley Days Brewery, for a tasting and a purchase! The charming British man working the taps was awesome, telling us all about the different beers they make and enthusiastically handing us sample after sample. I really enjoyed getting to taste the array of different beers they make. The standouts for me was their Harvest Gold Ale and their Brown Ale, which was served to us without any filtration, giving it a world of character. Of course we had to grab a couple six packs to bring home with us for the rest of the week.

Distillery Barn - While in Prince Edward County we also made a point of checking out a newly opened local distillery. Although I'm not one for sipping vodka, gin, and vermouth, I appreciated the esthetics of the place and snapped a pic of their barn, which I loved.

Follow me on Twitter!
Like me on Facebook!
Follow me on Instagram @thisgingerrose

Listening To:
Joy division - Insight

Powered by mp3skull.com

No comments: