Saturday, January 12, 2013

Weekly Roundup - A Delicious Start to the New Year

CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT
Make The New Year Sweet - How do you ensure a sweet start to the new year? With the most indulgent of cookies of course! Despite the fact that I had to work at the pub on New Years Eve, I was determined to start the year off sweet! Before the dreaded New Years shift began, I quickly whipped up one of my favourite holiday cookies, Chocolate Crackle Cookies, to take along with me when I was able to make my escape from the pub and join up with some friends. Meeting a slew of people for the very first time that night, I knew my Chocolate Crackle Cookies was a surefire way to impress and get them feeling sweet on me as well! A cross between a cookie and a brownie, these cookies are sure to please any sweet tooth!

Homemade Granola - For Christmas this year, my sister overwhelmed me with an assortment of gifts, some of which were on my list, with a few surprise items here and there that definitely caught my attention. One of the surprise items was meant to give me a bit of a laugh and embarrass me in front of my family, a quirky SexCereal, complete with a cute pinup girl package, and full of grains and seeds to "fuel your fire". Although I appreciated the cute idea, unfortunately I wasn't too fond of the taste of the uber-healthy cereal. Not one to let food go to waste, I decided to take the cereal into my own hands and transform it into a treat I would look forward to indulging in! Although the goal was to create granola bars, I ended up preferring to crumble the bars over yogurt to act as a very indulgent granola. Keep your eyes peeled for the recipe coming up on the blog soon! 

Holy Chuck Burger - My love affair with Holy Chuck Burger continues this week as I try what they consider to be their best burger, The Big Chuck, Holy Chuck's take on the classic McDonalds Big Mac. I can't imagine ever truly enjoying a McDonalds Big Mac after trying Holy Chuck's sinfully delicious version of the classic. With every visit, Holy Chuck continues to wow my taste buds. I can't wait to pay them another visit again soon and try out some of their new menu items, such as The Jerky Cow (a double cheeseburger with bacon fried in a spicy and salty jerk sauce, and topped with a fresh slice of seared pineapple) and their truffle fries, which I've heard are to die for! Omg....I'm salivating and could totally go again riiiight about NOW!

Le Dolci: Parisian Macaron Class - I have said so many times on my blog that my favourite gift to receive is always the gift of experience. Yeah, 'stuff' is great, but a memory can last a lifetime! So it's no surprise that one of my favourite Christmas gifts that I received this year was a gift certificate to a Parisian Macaron making class at Le Dolci! To be completely honest, although I absolutely loved eating every flavour of macaron imaginable (having worked at La Bamboche, maker of Toronto's best macarons, tasting was certainly a luxury I took advantage of!), I had never actually taken an interest in making the tricky French cookie myself. Le Dolci completely changed that for me. The class, which was lead by the very patient Madalina Paul, was so incredibly informative, breaking down each and every complicated step for the group, and allowing us to take part in the production. The hands-on aspect of the class was so amazingly beneficial for me. I walked out of the class confident that I can successfully master making macarons by myself in my own kitchen, and, more importantly, walked away feeling inspired! What am I doing today? Shopping for a kitchen scale, gel or powder food colouring, and almond flour so I can set up my own macaron making workshop at home ASAP! Thanks Chris for getting me the perfect gift that was not only an enjoyable experience, but also gave me that push that I needed to feel inspired in my kitchen again!

Follow me on Twitter!
Like me on Facebook!
Follow me on Instagram!

Listening To:
Kisses - People Can Do The Most Amazing Things

Powered by mp3skull.com

No comments: