Thursday, November 4, 2010

Simple Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


I guess it doesn't come as a shock by now that my family is really big on holidays. Whenever there is any type of holiday my family goes all out to create a fun and festive occasion. Out of all the holidays, Halloween has always been one of our favourite traditions. Every year my dad, my sister, and I carve out our own pumpkins, which are always the most talked out pumpkins in our neighborhood. We then have a warm comforting meal that my mom has prepared, while sneaking candy for myself and opening the door for trick or treaters. This tradition has changed over the years due to busy schedules and social lives, but this year I was able to take the time to carve out my own pumpkin. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much time as I would have liked (trick or treaters were ringing the bell before I was even finished!), it turned out pretty good and I think the neighborhood kids really liked it.

Another tradition that I have is saving all the pumpkin seeds to roast off as a snack for the rest of the week. I always make Spiced Pumpkin Seeds so this year I thought I would switch it up and just make very basic roasted pumpkin seeds so they could be tossed into salads and other dishes. Crisp, salty, and nutty, these seeds are going to taste great dressing up dishes all week long!

Ingredients:
seeds from 1 medium pumpkin, washed and dried
2 tsp butter, melted
2 tbsp sesame oil
generous pinch sea salt or kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300ยบ. Pour pumpkin seeds into a medium baking pan and drizzle with butter and sesame oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir until seeds are evenly coated and in a single layer.

2. Bake for 45 min to 1 hour, or until golden brown. Stir twice during baking. Store in an airtight container for about 2 weeks.

Listening To:
Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand

Powered by mp3skull.com

5 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

I really love roasted seeds and I make them every year:) Such a cool photos:)
Kisses my dear

Ps: Hope you had a chance to enter my Giveaway!

Collette Osuna said...

I love pumpkin seeds....just hate getting them out of the sticky pumpkin...thanks for the recipe:)

Stop By and Say Hello♥
Statements in Fashion Blog♥

Angie's Recipes said...

Love roasted pumpkin seeds...well, I used to just get them from the stores...this year I started collecting them and finally I can enjoy some homemade! Yours looks great.

Cooking Gallery said...

What a great snack! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)!

Yet said...

Everybody keeps talking about pumpkin seeds... I think I just need to just try them to see what they're like. I'm intensely interested now...