Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fig and Goat Cheese Salad with a Honey and Balsamic Vinaigrette

Recently I developed a love for figs. For years I could never understand what was so great about this expensive fruit, and would stick to grapes and olives when a cheese plate would come my way. Well I'm making up for lost time now, experimenting with figs in any way I can when they make a rare appearance in my fridge. I even went so far as trying to create fig and goat cheese pancakes...an experience I will not be sharing with you...let's just say, you wouldn't want to try that one at home. My Fig and Goat Cheese Salad with a Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette was a much more pleasant experience for me. Satisfying, tangy, and sweet, this salad is great served as a side dish with your entree or even as a light meal on its own.

Note: Use your discretion on how much of the salad ingredients to add. It may vary depending on your taste and how many people you are serving it to.

Ingredients:
mixed greens
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
figs, cut into quarters
red onion, very thinly sliced
goat cheese
dried cranberries
toasted pecans, chopped
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar with the honey until well combined. While continuing to whisk, slowly add in the olive oil in an even stream. Set aside.

2. Place desired amount of mixed greens in a large serving bowl. Top with figs, red onion, crumbles of goat cheese, dried cranberries, and toasted pecans.

3. Pour dressing over salad and toss until everything is coated. Season with salt and pepper, and gently toss again.

Listening To:
The xx - Heart Skipped A Beat

Powered by mp3skull.com

4 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love salads! The combination of figs and goat cheese sounds fabulous!

Callie Grayson said...

I just LOVE figs and goat cheese. put them together and I am completely in heaven!!!!
thanks for sharing this recipe, will have to try soon!
xx
callie

Paula said...

What a great blog!

This looks so delicious!

Have a nice time!
Paula

Janine / Being Brazen said...

That looks so yummy. Must try this.