Last week was my Opa's (Grandfather in German) 85th birthday. Opa didn't want to do anything too big for his birthday, he just wanted to be with his family. So for the occasion, we gathered up the whole family to take Opa out for his favourite delicacy, lobster! Lobster has got to be one of Opa's all-time favourite foods, and let's face it, who could blame him! For dessert we wanted to do something a little bit more special than just ordering dessert at the restaurant, so I decided to make Opa one of his favourite desserts, carrot cake.
This carrot cake is super simple to make, not to mention relatively healthy, and perfectly sweet and moist! It was definitely a hit! Even after the whole family was reclining in their chairs from being so stuffed from lobster, steak, and ribs, no one could turn down a slice of Opa's carrot cake!
Opa I love you so much and I hope you never forget it! I couldn't ask for a more caring, loving, and fun grandfather. Thank you for always being there for me, and especially for all of your hugs, smiles and dancing! Happy 85th birthday!
3 carrots, scraped, trimmed, and cut into chunks
1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Icing
1/4 cup room temperature butter
1/2 lb. (125 g) softened cream cheese
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Fit your food processor with the grater attachment, turn on and feed carrots through the feed tube to grate. Do the same with the apple chunks.
2. Measure carrots and apple to equal 2 cups, lightly packed.
3. Remove the grater attachment and fit the food processor with the steel knife. Process eggs with sugar for about 1 minute.
4. While machine is running, add oil through the feed tube, and continue processing until well combined.
5. add the carrot and apple mixture and process until combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients and process with 3 or 4 quick pulses, just until the flour has disappeared.
7. Pour batter into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan, and bake at 350º for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool.
Cream Cheese Icing:
1. Process the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, and salt until smooth.
2. Lightly toast the shredded coconut in the toasted oven until lightly golden.
3. Spread icing evenly over cooled carrot cake, and sprinkle the edges with the toasted coconut.
Phoenix - Armistice
Powered by mp3skull.com
Powered by mp3skull.com