Friday, November 6, 2009

Homemade Applesauce

My friends and I booked a trip to Cuba for this coming December, and although I am beyond excited for the sun, sand, and what is sure to be an incredible time, I can't help but become aware of my less than healthy eating habits lately. If I'm going to feel comfortable in a bikini come December, I'm going to have to put away those Halloween treats (that means you 'basket full of treats' in my bedroom!) and start looking for healthier choices to get my sweet fix for the day.

Apples are one of the most versatile fruits. They can be prepared as sweet or savory, and can go with any meal of the day including snacks. Apples are thriving during the Fall, and have reached their full potential for sweetness, making them the perfect healthy choice! My Homemade Applesauce is perfect for a midday snack or even dessert. Just like almost all of my recipes, my Homemade Applesauce is quick, simple and tastes delicious! A lot of applesauce recipes call for 1/2 cup sugar, which I don't think is necessary when apples are already so sweet this time of year. When applesauce gets too sweet, it tastes just like eating apple pie filling, which would not be considered a healthy choice. But depending on the size and sweetness of your apples, you may adjust the amount to your taste.
Tip: Cheat a little and serve a scoop of vanilla ice cream over warm applesauce.

Ingredients:
8 apples
1 - 2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (plus possibly more to taste)
cinnamon to taste (around 1 tsp)
1/4 cup orange juice

Directions:
1. Peel, core, and chop apples into about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch big chunks. During the process, place chopped pieces in a medium bowl with lemon juice. Continue tossing pieces with the juice to coat.

2. Place lemon coated apple pieces in a large pot. Toss with 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and orange juice.

3. Set stove to medium-high heat, and bring bring to a boil. Once brought to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally.

4. Taste sauce to check for sweetness. If needed, add more sugar. Crush apple chunks with a potato masher, or, for a chunkier texture, use the back of a large spoon. Serve warm or cold.

9 comments:

The imPerfect Housewife said...

Hi!! My mother-in-law is from Cuba and just went there this past year. Soooo many memories for her and she's still got relatives there. I can't wait for you to go - what an experience!!! Have a good weekend ~ ♥

test it comm said...

Nice looking apple sauce! I like to roast the apples when making apple sauce to add even more flavour.

Danielle said...

Thanks to the both of you!

Kevin - Roasting the apples!!!! That would make this perfection!!! Thanks!

Keith said...

That looks delicious. My great-grandmother always made homemade apple sauce.

Pretty Zesty said...

I will definitely try this. I've always wanted to make applesauce!

Anonymous said...

Yum - looks sooooo good! Anxious to try it!

katrina lauren said...

mmmm mmmm warm apple sauce sounds like the perfect autumn snack to curl up and eat with a cup of tea!
i think i'll have to give it a go!
k

figtree said...

I have never made my own applesauce..I think its time!

Baking By Night said...

Your apple sauce looks delicious! At this time of year, I always have apples lying around so I'll have to give it a try!