Tip: Always keep a jar of roasted red peppers in your fridge or pantry. They are incredibly helpful to have on hand to add to pastas, salads, pizzas, and so much more!! I use them several times a week! You may make your own roasted peppers, but it's so much easier to just use the bought jarred ones, they taste just the same.
Note: You may use whatever type of sausage you like, but spicy tastes best in this dish.
Note: Thanks to the Mamma Rose for this recipe! :)
3 spicy Italian pork sausages
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (or more to your taste)
2 roasted red peppers
1 jar your favourite tomato sauce
375 g (or 1/2 a 750g package) of fusilli or rotini pasta
salt and pepper to taste
1. Broil whole sausages in oven (or barbeque) until cooked through and slightly crispy on the outside casing, turning once. About 20 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan set at medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions appear slightly translucent.
3. In the meantime, boil a large pot of water. When boiling, add fusilli and cook as package instructs.
3. Add tomato sauce. Slice roasted red peppers and add to the sauce.
4. Once sausages are cooked through, slice and add to sauce.
5. Mix the pasta with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.